Introduction to contemporary art
Start: Sunday 10 October
• Bonnefantenmuseum, Avenue Ceramique 250
• Teachers: Guido Goossens, cultural philosopher, Paula van den Bosch, curator Contemporary Art Bonnefanten Museum and Ilse van Lieshout, museum guide
Sundays, 10 October, and 14 November – 11 am to 1 pm, Sunday 12 December, 11 am to 1 pm or 2.30 to 5 pm
Guided tour Sun 12 Dec fully booked. Still some places for the two lectures on Sun 10 Oct and 14 Nov.
Can we still like contemporary art? And what ís Conceptual Art? What’s the difference between modern and contemporary art?
These questions will be addressed in two lectures and an art tour organized together with the Bonnefanten Museum Maastricht.
The focus will be on important developments in contemporary art since the 1960's. Of course the collection of the Bonnefanten Museum will play an important role. The landslide in the field of contemporary art since the 60's has not only generated a new type of art but also required a considerable mind switch from the viewer.
The separate activities:
1. Introduction to Contemporary Art
- By Guido Goossens, cultural philosopher
- Sunday 10 October 2010 from 11.00 am until 1.00 pm. Location: Auditorium Bonnefantenmuseum
2. Current affairs in the museum field regarding contemporary art?
- Who is more qualified to speak about contemporary art than the curator of a museum of contemporary art.
- By Paula van den Bosch, curator Contemporary art Bonnefantenmuseum
- Sunday 14 November 2010 from 11.00 am until 1.00 pm. Location: Auditorium Bonnefantenmuseum
3. Contemporary Art tour
- In this tour Ms. Van Lieshout combines theory from the lectures with the art works in the museum (and the contemporary art centre) and discusses their possible meaning.
- By Ilse van Lieshout, museumguide Bonnefantenmuseum
- Sunday 12 December 2010 from 11.00 am until 1.30 pm and from 2.30 pm until 17.00 p.m. Location: Exhition rooms of the Bonnefantenmuseum and Marres or Hedah, (international) centres for contemporary art. We start in the entrancehall of the museum
Guido Goossens - Historian and cultural philosopher dr. Guido Goossens teaches for the Faculty of Cultural Sciences at the University of Maastricht. He is also chairman of Hedah, centre of contemporary art, and writes for the Flemish art journal De Witte Raaf. He is the author of the monography on Aldo Rossi’s Bonnefanten Museum. The Foundation Praemium Erasmianum awarded a price to Goossens’ doctoral thesis on the German moviemaker Hans-Jürgen Syberberg.
Paula Van den Bosch - Arthistorian and curator contemporary art, Paula Van den Bosch, has been co-responsible for the Bonnefantenmuseum's exhibition program and the collection since 1998. She wrote the two-piece standardwork on the Visser private collection in the Kröller-Müller Museum. In 2007 she received the highly acclaimed AICA-award for her Thomas Hirschhorn Anschool exhibition.
Ilse Van Lieshout - Ilse Van Lieshout is artist, assistant Art and Culture of the City Maastricht and museumguide special projects.
You have to register to the series or the separate lectures by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org Please send us your name and phone number, the name of the series or the dates of separate lectures and (if available) your employee or student number. Within three days your registration will be confirmed by mail. You can also call: 043-388 53 07 (Monday through Thursday, 9 am - 3 pm).
Maastricht University students and employees for free. Others €10 per lecture or €24 for the whole series. Alumni of Maastricht University and students of other schools for higher education 50% discount.
Bonnefantenmuseum, Avenue Ceramique 250